Dr. Lorna M. Breen Emergency Medicine Fellowship in Healthcare Administration
The Dr. Lorna M. Breen Emergency Medicine Fellowship in Healthcare Administration is designed to cultivate dynamic leaders who will help shape the future of Emergency Medicine. We are proud to offer two non-ACGME accredited programs through the Department of Emergency Medicine at Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Fellows will acquire valuable foundational knowledge of Emergency Medicine leadership as well as an understanding of the forces transforming healthcare. Graduates of the program will develop the skillset to take on a substantive leadership position within a healthcare system.
Length of Fellowship
We offer 12-month and 24-month fellowship programs that follow the academic calender, July 1 to June 30.
Successful applicants must possess an MD or DO, have completed Emergency Medicine Residency by the beginning of Fellowship, and be board certified/eligible in Emergency Medicine. Applicants are required to have a license to practice in the state of New York before starting the fellowship. We seek applicants who embrace and reflect diversity in the broadest sense. Columbia University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
- A 24-month option with a fully funded Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree or Master of Public Health (MPH) degree through the world class EXEC Program in the Department of Health Policy & Management at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. Visit the Mailman website for additional details.
- Block curriculum with focused learning experiences in Quality & Patient Safety, Operations, Department Finances, and Leadership.
- Flex time customized to help the fellow develop a niche expertise with an eye towards their post-fellowship administrative role.
- Active participation in day-to-day operations within the Department
- Mentorship and support from executive leadership in the Department and hospital enterprise
- Clinical practice within a hospital system ranked top 10 in the Nation, and repeatedly named to the Honor Roll of America’s Best Hospitals
- Association with Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons, a top ranked medical school with a superb, collaborative research environment.
Clinical Practice Settings
The Columbia Department of Emergency Medicine offers a portfolio of clinical sites located in Washington Heights, Inwood, and Westchester County. The distribution of clinical hours across sites will take into consideration each Fellow’s goals.
Applications are now closed for the July 1, 2024 cycle. Applications will open in the Fall term of 2024 for the 2025 cycle. The following items must be submitted for your application to be reviewed:
- A letter of interest
- Current CV
- Two letters of recommendation, including one letter from current residency leadership.
Interview days are virtual and occur monthly starting in August until fellowship positions have been filled.