Adult Emergency Medicine PA Fellowship Curriculum
38 weeks of direct Emergency Medicine experience
- 26 weeks total working clinically in CUMC/Allen Adult ER
- 12 weeks in associated EM clinical rotations
- Pediatric ER at NYP CHONY – 6 weeks
- Trauma – 4 weeks
- EM ultrasound – 2 weeks
10 weeks of non-EM clinical experience
- Critical Care – 4 weeks
- Orthopedics – 2 weeks
- Anesthesia – 2 weeks
- Elective – 1 week
- Ophthalmology – 1 week
4 additional weeks
- 3 weeks vacation
- 1-week CME
Total Fellowship Duration: 52 weeks
Timing of rotations TBD based on off-service availability and credentialing for outside sites. However, the fellow will rotate the first 8 weeks and last 8 weeks in the Adult ER.
While rotating in the adult ER, fellow will be required to work 44 hours per week. This will include:
- Mixture of 10-hour and 12-hour shifts (may be any day except Wednesday)
- 8 hour shifts Wednesdays following resident conference.
- Nights and weekends included
- Fellows can request 5 days off each month (same as full-time employees)
The fellow will rotate in all areas of the adult ER located at CUMC and Allen Hospitals.
Didactic/Formal Educational Curriculum
- NYP Emergency Medicine Weekly Residency Conference (alternates between Cornell Columbia sites)
- 4 hours each Wednesday from 8a-12p.
- Semi-monthly PA Learning Plan Didactics (Thursday mornings 10am-12pm)
- 2 sessions per month
- PA Simulation sessions
- Journal Club
- 1 session per month
- Pediatric ER in situ simulation sessions
- Occur every Thursday in CHONY ER
- NYP Emergency Medicine Residency Noon report
- Fellow will attend these 1-hour educational sessions on days they are scheduled to work clinically in the Columbia ER
- SAFE exam course
- Total 40 hours
- Fellows will be required to present two lectures during their fellowship at the PA learning plan.
- Periodic take-home assignments will be administered to promote reading/literature review during the fellow’s otherwise busy clinical/didactic schedule. The assignments will then be reviewed with fellowship leadership to ensure all fellows have adequate understanding of the material assigned.